| About | Find me |

Wednesday 7 September 2011

Looking Through My Eyes: Jane Eyre

(source)



I'm not going to do a movie review here since I'm not a good at it. You can check the imdb review for this rated-7-out-of-10 movie :)

Jane Eyre is a novel written by English writer Charlotte Brontë. The novel has been adapted into movies many times. I recently watched the 2011 version which starred Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender. How I stumble to this movie, I think, because I fancy Michael Fassbender. I was searching about his latest movie "Shame" when I found Jane Eyre trailer.

I always love movie sets in Medieval Era or at least the pre-modern age. So I give this movie a try. There are some points I noted after watching the film.

·         The Casts are Perfect
Mia Wasikowska portrayed Jane Eyre beautifully. She knows how to look strong, determinant, smart and sad at the same time. Fassbender also made a perfect Edward Fairfax Rochester. He plays the Byronic Hero impeccably. He really showed Edward’s twisted side. At some point, Rochester can be so miserable. Fassbender’s flawless act made me feel like hugging him so tight to make him happier xD
·         The Cinematography is Beautiful
They filmed the movie in a castle on a hill with pretty surroundings. The coloring and the lighting even made the picture whole more beautiful. Since it was medieval, candles are use for lighting at night. And it doesn’t look like they faking the light. Some movies with candle lighting still use the help from the lamp light, but Jane Eyre doesn’t.
·         It's So Romantic
Jane Eyre captures love in a different way. I mean, I’ve seen a lot of movie depicts love with physical attraction; kissing, holding hands, hugging. Many movies have to use sex scene to portray love. In Jane Eyre, the only 'sex scene' is when Jane and Rochester kissing after Rochester proposed him to be his wife.
Some lines make the romantic moment feels so sweet.
Rochester       : I offer you my hand, my heart. Jane, I ask you to pass through life at my side. You are my equal and my likeness. Will you marry me?
Jane                : Are you mocking me?
Rochester       : Do you doubt me?
Jane                : Entirely!

Rochester       : It's you. You rare, unearthly thing. Poor and obscure as you are, please accept me as your husband. I must have you for my own.
Jane                : You wish me to be your wife?
Rochester       : I swear it.
Jane                : You love me?
Rochester       : I do.
Jane                : Then, sir, I will marry you.

·         The Music Completes Everything
I really love the scores for the background music. I just can’t describe it, Dario Marianelli's score just make every second more momentous.

Maybe I’m being too subjective on appreciating this movie, but I really like it. The lack from this movie is that they don’t explore the minor characters deeper. I’ve never read the book but I read the review on wiki. There are many characters that don’t appear in the movie. I also saw some deleted scene in youtube. Unfortunately, the deleted scene is quite important and would be better if it wasn’t cut out from the movie.

Overall, I give 9 out of 10 for Jane Eyre.

For me Jane Eyre is a great Feminist movie. She taught me about the honour of being a woman. She taught me to be honest. Jane is only 19 but she is a lot  more mature and independent than I am now. She's a woman who stick on her principles. 

What about you, do you want to watch this movie too? Let me know if you do :)