| About | Find me |

Wednesday 17 August 2011

Story of a Diamond, Covered in Mud


So, one day when I was a mere teenager I asked my father (whom I consider as my personal counselor); “Why, do you think, I don’t have a boyfriend?”

That time, my friends had started dating someone; having their own relationship, while I stayed single. On the other hand, many of my close friends were boys. I haven’t really been a tomboy-type and I have always been a-guy-friendly-type. That’s why I’m asking my singleness to my father. With many boys around, I being single was something to be asked about.

He gave me some courageous reason like because I’m over-rated, because I’m too smart for them they’d feel inferior against me or because my singlehood meant for a greater good (tho I don’t know what that means).  I thanked him for all the reason because it really flattered me.

The real thing is I have issue with my weight, I still am. But he didn’t bring up physical reason at all. “Well, do you think I’m not pretty enough for the boys? Do I really have to be skinny so that I might hook up with someone?”

His answer change the way I see myself forever.

“Well, do you want to change yourself just so people like you even you’re not comfortable with it?”
“No! I like the way I am now!”
“So be it, because what really matter is the thing that lies within. You are a diamond. Even you are covered with mud or dirt, buried in the sand or below the swamp, you’re still a diamond. Only ones who see the diamond in you really meant for you.

I know that someday someone would really see the mud-covered diamond. I really thanked my dad for this life-changing chat session.

I have been single since I was born but I’m never ashamed of it because I now I have diamond in me. Story of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything you want to tell me? Say it nicely, please :)